Monday, June 20, 2011

Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Born of Shadows

Courtesy of Goodreads:  Just when you think you have it all figured out, life belts you to the ground. And when Caillen discovers a truth he'd never suspected about himself, everything in his life is turned on its head.
Desideria has a secret of her own- one that could end her life if anyone ever learns it. The last thing she expects is to meet a criminal in her sheltered world never mind find herself marooned on a hostile colony with him while his enemies try to kill them both.
And as they struggle to survive, her father's favorite curse resonates. "May you get exactly what you want and live long enough to regret it."

______________________________________________________

Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favorite authors and I adored all three previous league novels.  When I heard she was releasing a forth book in this series, I jumped for joy.  The fantasy world she has created is unique and creative and I couldn’t wait to dive back in with Born of Shadows.  Unfortunately for me, the book was a little disappointing in comparison to the previous books.

The world was still interesting and I loved that this story was set in the same time as the first two League novels, Born of Night and Born of Fire.  It was great to be able to revisit with some original characters-Darling specifically.  He is one of my favorite secondary characters, but in the epilogue a twist was thrown in that had me thinking WTF.  I don’t want to spoil anything but it felt like Ms. Kenyon was conforming to society so she could write a book about him.  I think a Darling book is a great idea, but it should be written with his true feelings and true desires. 

Onto the main characters – Caillen and Desideria.  I liked Caillen on his own.  He was a smart ass and a risk take who put it all on the line without a second thought.  Desideria didn’t seem to know what she wanted or who she really was.  She was built up to be this fierce fighter, but she always seemed to need Caillen to hold her and make her feel better.  I didn’t understand her personality.  Their romance together fell a little flat.  I never had the tingly, steamy feeling while reading their interactions, or following their relationship build up.   There were several times where I would laugh at their bantering, but they seemed more like friends than lovers most of the time. 

The end confused me even more.  Caillen and Desideria were running from assassins for much of the story and there were so many twists and turns, I am still not sure I know who did it.

Ms. Kenyon is usually a dark, steamy, romance author and I love most of her  books (League and Dark Hunter) but this one just didn’t do it for me as much as I hoped for. 

Overall, with the world still being fun and entertaining, and the secondary characters being a big part of the story, I would give this book three stars.  If you are looking for an action packed, suspenseful story, this one will work for you.  On the other hand if you are looking for romance, I am not sure if you will find what you expected.

Katie

1 comment: