Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

 

Sookie book cover

Courtesy of Goodreads:  With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover Eric Northman and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, Sookie is drawn into the plot-which is much more complicated than she knows...

______________________________________________________

Anyone that knows me is already aware of my love for Sookie Stackhouse and the Southern Vampire series.  My best friend Lauren introduced me to these books a few years back when I was just getting back into reading again.  These books were such quick and fun reads that I actually finished the first 9 books within weeks.  Then of course when True Blood aired, I was like a kid in a candy shop and couldn’t get enough.  P.S. I am super excited season 4 is back.  My summer is about to be complete!  Squeee!

But I digress…after being disappointed with last year’s Dead in the Family, I had high hopes for this new installment.  I am sad to say that it seems that the series has lost it’s speed and pretty much hit a brick wall. 

Although I got a little more enjoyment out of this book than I did the last, it still feels very two dimensional.  Sookie is still getting herself immersed in trouble, this time with a firebombing at Merlottes as well as various other issues involving Pam and Eric.  Pam’s spitfire personality was missing throughout the story and the relationship between Pam and Eric was lacking.  

Sookie and Eric are still together…which used to be my favorite part of the last few books as I am definitely team Eric….hello HOTNESS…but now Eric is just boring.  He isn’t scary, or intimidating, or dangerously yummy, he is just blah.  Bill is still in the picture and there is a random underground scene with him and Sookie which was kind of interesting, but he has becoming a total pushover.   Both these men need to man back up and become the vampires that we all fell in love with early on. 

I am sure this series will come to an end in the next few books but I really hope that whatever is left of the story goes back to being exciting and fun. 

I am going to give Dead Reckoning two and a half stars and REALLY hope that the next installment is better!

 

Katie

3 comments:

  1. i've been curious how the series progresses - not in terms of plot, but in terms of quality. sounds like there are some that are better and more well rounded than others...

    nice review, per usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the series is great up and through book 9 - Dead and Gone...after that though it just gets kinda ehh

    I am hoping things get better for the last few books...it would suck if it ended on a low note after all the craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way about Dead Reckoning. I kept pleading with Bill and Eric. I also found countless editing mistakes here and there, and I hate running into those! My brain just latches onto them, leaving me disappointed from the editing.

    I do hope that the next few books are better.
    This series deserves to go out with a bang!

    ReplyDelete