Friday, June 24, 2011

Finding Time?

 

Have you ever found yourself saying something like “I will get ____ done when I find some time.”  What about, “I am going to get started on _____ again next week.”

Everyone is busy, life moves faster than we all want it to and before we know it, we have wasted years making a minimal effort towards some of the things we want the most.  Why is that?  A lot of times it is due to poor planning.

Extra hours won’t magically appear for us to accomplish the things we want to do.  We must actually MAKE time for what is important, especially our goals.  It is so easy to let days, weeks, and even months go by without getting anything accomplished. 

This week I have been paying attention to what I am getting done versus what I am putting off.  It has become apparent that I push many of my top goals off for later by telling myself that I will get to work on whatever it is once I “find the time”. 

Looking back at this year so far I am on target for many of my goals, but the most important ones are still sitting at a stale mate for one of two reasons in my case.  Either I am scared of failure, or I am intimidated by the amount of time it will take to make real progress. 

Examples for me include:

1. Editing and moving forward with my first YA book.

2. Getting the final 15 pounds off and finally being at my goal weight.

3. Finding a career path that I love. (Besides writing and reading)

Well enough is enough!  From now on, I am going to schedule several hours into each week to focus on what matters to me outside of my current job and family. The excuses are going to end.  I refuse to waste any more of my life being a talker and not a doer.

Does anyone else understand where I am coming from on this?  Have you had similar experiences?  I would love to hear them. 

Remember…there will always be a reason NOT to do something, but it’s finding the motivation and dedication towards being as good as you can be that is the biggest success of them all.

Thanks for reading :)

Katie

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from on this one... I put off finishing my MS for about 2 weeks because I started to focus on other things instead. So I ended up scheduling days/times for everything that I wanted to get done, and so far that has seemed to work. I'm still touching on everything, just wished there was more time in the day for it all.

    Awesome post, Katie!

    ReplyDelete