Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden

Courtesy of Goodreads:  Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

______________________________________________________

It has been really hard for me to sit down and write this review because this book just tore my heart right out of my chest and stomped on it.  I was a mess of emotions for almost a day after completion and had to take some time to really get my thoughts together.  Let me start with this...if you listen to NOTHING else in the review - READ THIS BOOK.  Do not let the subject matter throw you off.  Yes it's about incest and yes that is creepy.  I completely agree, but this book was also beautifully written and tragically amazing. 

Maya and Lochan are only thirteen months apart in age and basically take on the parenting role with their three younger siblings.  Their mother is a worthless piece of garbage and everything about her made me angry.  Every time she entered the story, I just wanted to throw the book across the room because I hated how selfish and heartless she was.  I guess that was the point...but it still irritated me! 

Anyway, Maya and Lochan did everything for their siblings that parents were supposed to and over time their love for the family and for each other grew into something that was bigger and more overwhelming than either of them were ready for.  There were many times during the story when part of me wanted to cringe away from what was happening between them, but the other part of me hoped they could figure it out and somehow be happy.  With all the pressure and negativity surrounding them, I wanted them to find peace.  Of course in a story like this, you know it can't end well, and you are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. That kept me tense and in suspense throughout the more than 400 pages of this book.

I am not going to give anything away, but I will say that I read this book in one sitting simply because I couldn't stop.  It was THAT intense and compelling and I just had to know what would happen next.  Overall I give this book six stars out five...(is that even possible?).  I just can't recommend it highly enough...it was powerful and emotional and challenging and scary and everything in between.  Forbidden has been the best book I have read this year so far, as well as the toughest, but it was worth every second!

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Great review! This has definitely my favorite book of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can feel the emotions pouring through this review. well done, katie!

    ReplyDelete